Department of English of Rajkumar Kewalramani Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur runs UG and PG programmes and has two faculty members. It conducts various student centric activities and faculty development programmes. Since its inception, the Dept. has organized 01 International Conference and 06 National conferences/ Workshops in collaboration with various educational institutions in Nagpur. Faculty, Student exchange programmes are also undertaken by the Dept. The Dept. publishes its Annual Journal in English Language and Literature, Cenacle which is included in UGC recognized list of journals. The Dept. is committed for all round development of the students, and offers Add-on courses for career advancement of the students. Various Workshops, Guest Lectures, Educational Visits are also been organized for the students of the Dept.
Activities for the Students
- One Day Workshop on ‘Letter Writing’ was organized under Faculty Exchange Program. Mrs. Archana Gupta, Assistant Professor in English, Shrimati Binzani Mahila Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur conducted the Workshop.One Day Workshop on ‘Puntuation’ was organized by the Department on — under Faculty Exchange Programme. Dr. Megha Ramteke, Assistant Professor in English conducted the Workshop.
- Guest Lecture on ‘Making Introduction’ was organized on August 27, 2016. Dr. Sujata Chakravarty, Associate Professor in English, Dayanand Arya Kanya Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur was the resource person.
- One Day Workshop on ‘Professionalism at Workplaces’ was organized on Sept 20, 2014. Dr. Pranjali Wazalwar, Assistant Professor in English, Shri Binzani Mahavidyalaya, Nagpur guided the students.
- One Day Workshop on ‘E-mail Writing’ was organized on December 27, 2013. It was conducted by Mr. Sudesh Bhowate, Assistant Professor in English, PWS College, Nagpur.
Educational Visit to Jain Institute and Technology was organized by the Dept. on March 06, 2014. During the visit Dr. Sumant Tekade, Head, Dept. of Mass Communication guided the students on ‘Personality Development Skills’ with his motivational words.
- Competitive Examination Module Session was conducted by the Department in collaboration with WLC, Nagpur in 2015. Objective Type Test was conducted to make the students well acquainted with competitive examination paper pattern. Participants were awarded certificates.
- Handwritten on ‘Lives of Literary Stalwarts’ was prepared by the students of B.A. Part I focusing on the world famous autobiographies of Indian Writers in English in the session 2015-16. The activity helped the students to know about the famous writers and their contribution to the world of literature through their autobiographies.
- Drama and Movie Presentation Sessions are organized for the students to make teaching-learning process effective with audio-visual tools like drama and movie.
1. Certificate Course in Communicative Skills in English
Certificate Course in Communicative Skills in English was organized by the Department in collaboration with Adult and Continuing Education and Extension, RTM Nagpur University, Nagpur from Sept. 16 to Oct. 30, 2015.
During the course, subject experts guided the students. The course comprised the basic elements to improve communicative skills among the students. The course comprised the following topics:
- Introducing yourself
- Greetings and Welcome
- Inviting, accepting and refusing invitations
- Answering the telephone and asking for someone
- Making requests
- Interview Techniques
25 students from various colleges participated in the same. Experts from the field were invited to conduct various sessions during the course.
2. On-line Certificate Course in Shakespearean Tragedies
Institution aims at development of the students from academic and technical point of view. For the same, in the academic session, 2017-18, Department of English organized Eight Days Certificate Course in Shakespearean Tragedies, from April 19 to 26, 2018. The Course was conducted jointly by Dept. of English, Mahila Mahavidyalaya affiliated to Sant Gadagebaba Amravati University, Amravati and Dept. of English, Rajkumar Kewalramani Kanya Mahavidyalaya, affiliated to Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur. It was the maiden attempt conducted by the Dept. to share the expertise in the chosen field other than their colleges. It helped them to widen the students’ perspective to understand one of the significant themes in English Literature that is Elizabethan Theatre and contribution of William Shakespeare to the field of Drama. Following Course Module was prepared for the course comprising all the major tragedies written by Shakespeare.
Day 1 – Lecture on Elizabethan Theatre by Dr. Urmila Dabir & Reading Material
Day 2 – Movie Presentation Macbool
Day 3 – Lecture on Shakespearen Tragedies by Mr. Shivaji Joshi & Reading Material
Day 4 – Drama Presentation Macbeth
Day 5 – Lecture on Shakespearean Tragic Heroes by Dr. Supantha Bhattacharya & Reading Material
Day 6 – PPT Presentation on Hamlet by Dr. Madhavi Moharil & Reading Material
Day 7 – Movie Presentation Omkara
Day 8 – Multiple Choice/ Objective Type Test and Award of Certificate.
During the Course recorded lectures on various aspects of the chosen theme were sent on the mail ids of the registered students. To make teaching-learning student centric and effective some wel-known movies and dramas, based on Shakespearean Tragedies were shared with the participants on-line. Easy, compact, selected reading material was provided for the complete understanding of the topic. At the end of the course, students’ comprehension was assessed with multiple choice based question paper. All the participants were awarded with Certificates for successful completion of the course. Students’ satisfaction survey was attained through the feedback forms along with their valuable suggestions. In all 15 students from both the colleges were benefited through the Course.
Faculty Development Programme
- 61st AIES National Conference : National Conference on ‘Emerging Trends in Literature’ was organized by the Dept and FCWE from January 20 to 22, 2017 in collaboration with AIES (All India English Study). The conference was inaugurated at the hands of eminent writer and poet Qaiser Khalid. Dr. Mukeshranjan Varma, AIES Chairman presented the report of the activities of the association. Dr. S. Kane, Vice Chancellor, Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University, Nagpur presided over the function.During the span of three days major issues of emerging trends in English Literature were discussed by subject experts, research scholars and academicians in various technical and plenary sessions.Seven books, Conference Proceedings and Journal of AIES were released on the occasion. Around 400 delegates across India participated in the Conference.
- II National Meet : IV National Meet on ‘Creative Writing: Past and Present’ was organized by FCWE (Forum for Creative Writers in English) on Saqturday March 14, 2015.
The Meet was inaugurated at the hands of the Vice Chancellor RTM Nagpur Unviersity Nagpur, Dr Vinayak Deshpande. Keynote address was delivered by Dr. Anuradha Marwah, Associate Professor, Dept. of English, Zakir hussain College, New Delhi. The Session was presided by Shri Vijay Phanshikar, Editor, The Hitavada (daily)
- Research Methodology Workshop : ‘Eight Days Research Methodology Workshop’ was conducted by the Department in collaboration with Cenacle from March 23 to 30, 2015. In this Workshop various aspects of the process of research were covered. Experienced resource persons interacted with the research scholars and guided.
- International Seminar: One Day International Seminar on ‘Evolving Genre of Poetry’ was organized by the Department in collaboration with FCWE (Forum for Creative Writers in English) on March 8, 2014. Vanita Singhal, IAS, Director of Vanamati formally inaugurated the Seminar. Mr. Vijay Phanshikar, Editor, The Hitavada (daily) was the key note speaker. Plenary Session was conducted by eminent and popular personalities in the field of poetry like Dr. Nandini Sahu and Dr. Gopi Kottor.